NOTE: These are general guidelines which will assist in developing a strong basis for the actual database design (the logical model)
- Document all entities discovered during the information gathering stage.
- Document all attributes that belong to each entity. Select candidate and primary keys. Ensure that all non-key attributes for each entity are full-functionally dependent on the primary key.
- Develop an initial E-R diagram and review with appropriate personnel. (Remember that this is an iterative process).
- Create new entities (tables) for multi-valued attributes and repeating groups. Incorporate these new entities (tables) in the E-R diagram. Review with appropriate personnel.
- Verify E-R modeling by normalizing tables.