Occurs when a consumer's previous buying experiences are not relevant to the current problem he or she would like to solve.
- Awareness: consumer is aware of, but lacks details of, the brand
- Interest: consumer gathers information about the brand
- Evaluation: consumer imagines trying the brand and anticipates the benefit from its use
- Trial: consumer tries the brand
- Decision: consumer adopts the brand for future use or rejects it
- Confirmation: consumer will seek information to support his or her decision and to reduce tension (cognitive dissonance)