The future of computing system interfaces promises to be very exciting and challenging. Many opportunities for HCI researchers and application interface designers will become available. New and innovative user interfaces and interaction models will be required for:
- computer-based devices and services; and
- computer-based applications.
These new UIs will be based upon:
- technological advancements;
- a better understanding of communication methods, sensory pathways and cognition; and
- sociological and generational factors.
History suggests that these future interfaces will become pervasive in all areas of human-computer interaction just as the Web interface has become a mainstay in modern culture. Multidisciplinary involvement in the design and implementation of these interfaces will revolutionize key critical application areas such as education, business, entertainment and social interaction/involvement.