Seconds, thirds, sixths, and sevenths can be major intervals or minor intervals. The minor interval is always a half-step smaller than the major interval.
Major and Minor Intervals
- 1 half-step = minor second (m2)
- 2 half-steps = major second (M2)
- 3 half-steps = minor third (m3)
- 4 half-steps = major third (M3)
- 8 half-steps = minor sixth (m6)
- 9 half-steps = major sixth (M6)
- 10 half-steps = minor seventh (m7)
- 11 half-steps = major seventh (M7)
Listen to the minor second, major second, minor third, major third, minor sixth, major sixth, minor seventh, and major seventh.
major sixth, minor seventh, and major seventh.
Give the complete name for each interval.
Fill in the second note of the interval given.