The Government Wi-Fi Programme (GovWiFi) is one of the major initiatives under the 2008 Digital 21 Strategy to build Hong Kong into a wireless city. This programme aims to provide free wireless Internet access services to all citizens by installing Wi-Fi facilities at designated government premises. Its aims are as follows:
- People can surf the web freely for business, study, leisure or accessing government services whenever they visit the designated Government premises.
- Business organisations can extend their services to a wireless platform to reach and connect with their clients.
- ICT industry players can make use of this new wireless platform to develop and provide more Wi-Fi applications, products and supporting services to their clients, and open up more new business opportunities.
- Foreign visitors can enjoy Internet access at the designated tourist spots.
Visit GovWiFi and answer the following questions:
- How many government premises have been installed with Wi-Fi facilities?
- What types of premises are included?
- What kind of security protection is enabled?