You are here
- “I don’t want to learn about technology; I just want to be good at my job.” Comment.
- Examine Figure 1.1. Based on your college education to date, with which
elements are you most comfortable? With which are you least comfortable? Discuss your answers.
- Examine Figure 1.1. Based on any practical experience that you have had, with
which elements are you most comfortable? With which are you least comfortable? Discuss your answers.
- Why might we have more trouble assessing the success of a federal government entitlement program than we would have judging the success of a business organization?
- Why must we have knowledge of a system’s objectives to study that system?
- Can one person be a member of all three business process components: information, management, and operations? Discuss your answer.
- Where do you see your role(s) as a business professional—in the information, management, or operations processes? Discuss your answer.
- Examine Figure 1.5. Discuss the relative importance of horizontal
information flows and vertical information flows to the business professional.
- “When we computerize an IS, we merely change how the data are processed; we don’t change what tasks are performed.’’ Do you agree? Give examples to support your position.
- Assume that a manager can obtain information from the organization’s computer in three ways: by direct inquiry using his laptop connected to the enterprise system, by a daily
paper report, and by a monthly report. Using the qualities of information discussed in this chapter (understandability, relevance, timeliness,predictive value/feedback value,
neutrality/freedom from bias, comparability, consistency,validity, accuracy and completeness), compare and contrast these three sources of information.
- Give several examples not mentioned in the chapter of potential conflicts between pairs of information qualities.
- What information quality is most important for decision making—relevance or reliability? Discuss your answer.
- Which information qualities are most important to Amazon.com’s ability to fill advance orders for books? Explain your answer.