- The business environment is increasingly demanding the use of online real-time systems for more up-to-date information. Identify one business application, and the environment in which it would be used, as an example of why immediate mode processing is so critical. Be prepared to explain your answer to the class.
- Take as an example your favorite fast food chain restaurant. How do you think this restaurant might use online transaction entry to improve its business event data processing activities? Explain.
- We noted during the chapter discussion that banks were one of the earliest adopters of online transaction processing systems. Discuss why OLTP would be so desirable for use in ATM systems.
- How does your university use the Internet to improve communication between students, faculty, and staff?
- What would you perceive to be the advantages and disadvantages of conducting business on the Internet? Be prepared to explain your answer.
- Why has the Internet caused such an explosion in e-business when electronic data interchange has been available for decades?
- Consider again the example of Lands’ End and its use of Internet commerce as discussed in the text. In a business where customers want to know fairly definitive delivery dates, what are the risks of using periodic processing on orders? Does the processing of orders several times each hour negate the disadvantages of periodic processing?
- How can e-mail be adapted to a more structured form to aid in capturing business event data?
You are here
- Front Matter
- Body Matter
- Back Matter