- Does physical exercise to increase muscle mass involve anabolic and/or catabolic processes? Give evidence for your answer.
- Explain in your own terms the difference between a spontaneous reaction and one that occurs instantaneously, and what causes this difference.
- With regard to enzymes, why are vitamins and minerals necessary for good health? Give examples.
- Both prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms carry out some form of glycolysis. How does that fact support or not support the assertion that glycolysis is one of the oldest metabolic pathways?
- We inhale oxygen when we breathe and exhale carbon dioxide. What is the oxygen used for and where does the carbon dioxide come from?
- When muscle cells run out of oxygen, what happens to the potential for energy extraction from sugars and what pathways do the cell use?
- Would you describe metabolic pathways as inherently wasteful or inherently economical, and why?
You are here
CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS
- Front Matter
- Body Matter
- Back Matter