By the end of this section, you will be able to:
- Describe biodiversity as the equilibrium of naturally fluctuating rates of extinction and speciation
- Explain the legislative framework for conservation
- Identify the factors important in conservation preserve design
- Identify examples of the effects of habitat restoration
- Identify the role of zoos in biodiversity conservation
Preserving biodiversity is an extraordinary challenge that must be met by greater understanding of biodiversity itself, changes in human behavior and beliefs, and various preservation strategies.